24.5 C
Saturday, January 22, 2022

Latest Articles

Support for farmers affected by storms

Farmers across the state who are impacted by storm damage and hail can apply for State government assistance.

Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries and Minister for Rural communities Mark Furner said this week’s severe storms across Queensland were a timely reminder the Queensland environment can prove quite a challenge for the state’s farmers.

“There have been reports of hail, heavy rain and even tornados on the Darling Downs and Central Queensland,” he said.

“Any producer that has been impacted by these events can apply for an Individual Disaster Stricken Property (IDSP) declaration.

“This declaration gives producers access to freight subsidies of up to $5,000, as well as Disaster Assistance loans of up to $250,000 at a concessional interest rate to help fix damaged infrastructure such as fences, sheds and hail netting.

“You don’t have to wait for a disaster to be declared by state or federal authorities—if your agribusiness has been affected by storms and if you need assistance, you could consider applying for an IDSP.”

Mr Furner said applying for IDSP declarations was as simple as contacting the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF).

“You can apply online or via the phone and a Departmental officer will visit your property for assessment,” he said.

“Our officers are experienced in providing rapid assistance to our farmers and in conducting these assessments.

“It’s shaping up to be a busy storm season and I want Queensland’s producers to know the Palaszczuk Government will always stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them in good times and in bad.”

For more information on Individual Disaster Stricken Property Declarations contact DAF on 13 25 23 or visit daf.qld.gov.au.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest Articles